Students with Disabilities

Individuals with disabilities are encouraged to visit Roanoke College prior to the beginning of their first term. A personal visit enables the student and College representatives to meet and determine how the College can best serve the student’s particular needs. Persons with disabilities which affect access to campus facilities should contact the Director of Campus Safety. The Director of Campus Safety serves as the Section 504 Coordinator and is located in Bowman Hall.

Students with a diagnosed learning disability must send a copy of psycho-educational testing results to the Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs. The results should be dated no earlier than twelve months before date of application. While Roanoke College does not offer a special program for students with learning disabilities, certain accommodations may be permitted based on the specific disability and the recommendations of the consulting professional. Any special considerations or accommodations requested by the student will not be allowed until testing results have been received and reviewed by the Assistant Dean. All requests are handled on a case-by-case basis.

At the beginning of each term, a student’s professors will be informed of the specific nature of his or her disability. It is the student’s responsibility to speak with his/her professors and arrange for any necessary accommodations that may benefit performance in a course. If a student prefers that instructors not be notified of a disability, the College will comply with those wishes upon written notice to the Assistant Dean for Academic Affairs.

Internal Grievance Procedure For Disabled Students
The college has an established written grievance procedure for disabled students. Any disabled student who a specific problem or complaint (related to their disability) with any action taken or not taken by the college should first attempt to resolve the matter informally with the Coordinator. The student may file a formal written grievance with the Section 504 Coordinator if the matter is not resolved to the student’s satisfaction. The matter will be handled as outlined in the document, Internal Grievance Procedure for Disabled Students. A copy is available by contacting the Section 504 Coordinator.