Living on campus can be an important part of the Roanoke educational experience. Therefore, all full-time students, except those who have lived in the Roanoke Valley area (within 30 miles of campus) for at least six months preceding the date of first enrollment, those who are married, those who live with relatives, those who are at least 23 years old (before the beginning of the term during which they desire to live off-campus), those who are military veterans, or those who have been granted prior approval by participating in the off-campus lottery, are required to live on campus. Part-time students must receive permission from the Office of Student Affairs to reside on campus.

Residence hall space is reserved for a student after the individual has been admitted and has paid the deposit. Notification of room assignment is usually sent to new students in late July.

Rooms are furnished with single beds (extra long mattress), dressers, closets or wardrobes, desks, and chairs. Resident students generally bring linens (extra long), bedspreads, blankets, pillows, trash cans, and other personal articles. Housekeeping service is provided to clean common areas, but students are expected to maintain their individual rooms. A room key and exterior door key are issued to each resident student. Each residence hall complex is under the supervision of a professional Area Coordinator. In addition, a student Resident Advisor (RA) is assigned to each living area. The RAs assist students and enforce College regulations. Greek Resident Managers (GRMs) are assigned to the fraternity and sorority areas on campus and perform similar functions. Each building is represented on Inter-Hall Council by an appointed resident representative. The residents advise the administration of matters affecting residence hall living, purchase equipment for residents’ use, and plan and implement hall programs.

Coin-operated washers and dryers are available for use by resident students. The College permits personal telephones in individual rooms at the student’s expense. The service charge is included in the telecommunications fee for resident students. Public telephones are available also.

Rooms in residence halls are rented only for those periods of time that the College is in regular session as specified by the College calendar. Room changes must be approved by the Residence Life Staff.

The Resident Student Comprehensive Fee includes room and board costs. Meals are served in the College cafeteria, known as the Commons, seven days per week. Commuting students may buy meals in the Commons. In addition, food and snacks may be purchased in the snack bar, known as the Cavern.