Residence Life

Living on campus is an important part of the residential educational experience at Roanoke College. Therefore all full-time students, except those who have lived in the Roanoke Valley area (within 30 miles of campus) for at least six months preceding the date of first enrollment, those who are married, those who live with parents, grandparents or siblings who live within 30 miles of campus, those who are at least 23 years old (before the beginning of the term during which they desire to live off-campus), those who are military veterans, or those who have received and accepted permission to live off campus during housing selection process, are required to live on campus. Part-time students must receive permission from the Office of Student Affairs to reside on campus.

Residence Hall space is reserved for a student after the individual has been admitted and has paid the tuition and room and board deposits. Notification of room assignment is typically sent to students in July.

Rooms are furnished with single beds (extra long mattresses), dressers, closets or wardrobes, desks, and desk chairs. Students are expected to bring linens (extra long), bedspreads, blankets, pillows, trash cans, lamps and any other personal articles. Housekeeping service is provided to clean common areas, but students are expected to maintain their individual rooms. The residence halls remain locked 24 hours a day. A room key and exterior door key or building access card are issued to each resident student. Each residence hall is under the supervision of a professional Area Coordinator. In addition, a student Resident Advisor (RA) is assigned to each living area. The RAs assist students and enforce College regulations. Greek Resident Managers (GRMs) are assigned to the fraternity and sorority areas on campus and perform similar functions. Coinless washers and dryers are available for use by resident students during the regular academic year and the intensive learning term. The machines are operated by coin during the summers. Most students rely on their personal cell phones for telephone usage. However, the College provides a land line telephone upon request. A deposit for the telephone is required.

Rooms in residence halls, other than those designated for break and summer usage, are rented only for those periods of time that the College is in regular session as specified by the College calendar. Room changes are permitted. However, they must be approved by the Residence Life Staff prior to the move.

The Resident Student Comprehensive Fee includes room and board and washer/dryer costs. Meals are served in the College cafeteria, known as the Commons, seven days per week. Commuting students may buy meals in the Commons. In addition, food and snacks may be purchased in the snack bar, known as the Cavern.