Internal Grievance Procedure For Disabled Students

The College has an established written grievance procedure for students with disabilities. Any student with disabilities who has a specific problem or complaint (related to their disability) with any action taken or not taken by the college should first attempt to resolve the matter informally with the Coordinator of Disability Support Services. The student may file a formal written grievance with the Section 504 Coordinator if the matter is not resolved to the student’s satisfaction. The matter will be handled as outlined in the document, “Internal Grievance Procedure for Disabled Students.” A copy is available from the Section 504 Coordinator in the Campus Safety Office or at